Sunday, April 18, 2010

4月18日 Day 25: Hayao's Moving Castle






Today I went to the Studio Ghibli Museum and it was... wonderful.

I can't even really describe it. I don't want to because I'm afraid it won't do the place much justice. The only thing I would have changed about the experience was my age... I wish I was a little kid so I could have experienced the wonder in its purest form.

The Museum is located inside of this forrest-y park in Mitaka, which is right by ICU. HOLLER! It was a very oddly constructed building. It had staircases all over the place that took you to different levels of the museum. It was sort of like walking into a live version MC Escher painting. The best part of it-- there was no set path, you could just walk around to whatever area you want... because that's the way Miyazaki wanted it! *sigh*

It had rooms that showcased all different types of Miyazaki's movies, his animation techniques, and his many, many, inspirations. Some rooms were dedicated to motion, others to nature, others showed replicas of Miyazaki's work station/studio. His bookshelf was full of books on flight, aviation, boats, engineering and all sorts of random odds and ends. I saw a few of his original sketches of characters like Kiki~ and basically giggled my face off with excitement.

I would have taken more pictures, but it wasn't allowed (inside, anyway). I'm sure Miyazaki made it that way because... well, the Ghibli Museum is a place you HAVE to see for yourself. The feeling you get isn't something you can get looking at a bunch of pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment